Archive for September, 2011
Inspired by / based on Maslow’s work on our individual hierarchy of needs, the folks over at Altimeter Group noticed a pattern than companies undergo a similar growth with regards to Social Business Maturity (see the image below):
Companies must fulfill the requirements at the bottom of the pyramid and then layer on top of success, building each layer. To date, they’ve found only a few companies that are getting near “enlightenment”.
According to Jeremiah Owjang there’s a pattern to be found from those advanced companies:
- Foundation: First, develop a business plan and put governance in place.
- Safety: Then, get organized by anointing a team and process to deal with crises.
- Formation: Next, connect business units to increase coordination and reduce duplication.
- Enablement: Grow by letting them prosper – give business units the support and flexibility to reach goals.
- Enlightenment: Finally, weave real-time market response into business processes and planning.